Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jane Austen's home village and Mad Meg



Radio four talked about Lady Hestor Stanhope yesterday who’s story is amazing. Among many other things she befriended and was beloved by the Arab world an attitude we should try to emulate 200 years later. Her story was discussed on BBC Radio Four yesterday and if you want to know more about her you could start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Hester_Stanhope

However it is Mad Meg I think of first.
There are a number of great pioneers and yesterday reminded me that I had not done a post on one I came across unexpectedly last winter.

This picture was taken in Jane Austen’s home village of Chawton in Hampshire. I spotted this poster and wondered who she was. The answer is “Mad Meg”or “ Mad Madge”. Subsequent research has left me speechless, I know not what to think; but that poster shook me up a lot.

A Princely Brave Woman

By Stephen Clucas will throw some light on her life and works:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=lLRw62UmiX8C&dq=margaret+cavendish&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=UnFvuYmN9k&sig=1bxVv4xFLlGtgCwYwzbCbDO9rgY&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPP1,M1

4 Comments:

Blogger chris miller said...

I really enjoy your meanderings around merry olde England.
Keep it up!

BTW -- I've never "fornicated in my own defense" -- but I think I'll try that excuse out the next time it's necessary.

11:50 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

I would totally be at that lecture and take notes!

so good to hear from you! I too enjoy your trecks and particularly enjoy it on Sunday afternoons.

Did you see that I am an Auntie now! My brother and his English bride has just had a baby, and I am running over there every chance I get. I wonder how he will blend the english accent with southern...will be interesting.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Greatnews, boy or girl? The accent thing will be interesting!

9:37 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Yes, lovely Chawton!

And Mad Meg, Mad Madge. Name like that ought to be in a Romantic poem. Wordsworth.

3:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home