Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sculpture and a few gems from Dorchester Dorset

I took these pictures of a few of Dorchester’s “attractions”.


John White’s connection with Massachusetts may be of interest.


Sculptor, John Doubleday also did a Sherlock Holmes!
Here is William Barnes

and a sample of his Dorset dialect!


The “fountain group” is a “contemporary figure sculpture” and is in the new Poundbury development. (A huge new town growing on the outskirts of Dorchester.) I do not know who sculpted it. Thomas Hardy was done by EHK. I will have to look him up too. Just shows how important it is to sign your work properly if you want to be remembered. (Eric Kennington, thanks Chris)

The Christian Martyrs were done by Dame Elizabeth Frink.

Judge Jefferies was not a judge anyone would have chosen. His Ghost is reputed to be still haunting this building.


The funny little arch thingy is where the Roman aqueduct started and is contemporary, again no idea who did it.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

So you have a poet and a poet-novelist.

And I looked up the Tolpuddle Martyrs of the Friendly Society of Agricultural Labourers. It all sounds so jolly and whimsical. Tolpuddle sounds like a Puddleglum sort of place, or else where a puddleduck found a friendly society. I didn't know one classed as a martyr if unjustly transported to Australia...

1:39 am  
Blogger chris miller said...

The EHK of the Thomas Hardy statue is Eric Henri Kennington (I just made a web page for him today !)

I'm always complaining that pictures on the web on too small -- and now I've found one of the culprits ! You!

Please post larger (and more) pictures of the Hardy statue --- and of the "Christian martyrs"
(and I don't want to have to ask twice !!)

1:38 am  
Blogger Robert said...

I know exactly what you mean, really irritating isn't it, but this time it was not my fault!I suspected that "Blogger" thought they were to big so did not allow a link to the larger size. I will send you some big images by email!

11:43 am  
Blogger Conrad H. Roth said...

Robert, I was in Dorchester last summer, and took some pictures of my own, including another plaque to the Martyrs.

5:27 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks Conrad, I will have to go and look for the "relief" of the Tolpuddle lot, I don't think I have seen it. Let me know if you are coming by again.

9:02 am  
Blogger Conrad H. Roth said...

Thanks, I shall.

4:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home