Saturday, September 08, 2007

Carl Eldh Sculptor from Sweden

I have just found another sculptor of note from the Northern reaches of Europe.

It is so satisfying to finding a new Sculptor. It matters not that the rest of the world know all about him and I am as usual late on the scene!

I am indebted to these two websites for the following pictures;

http://www.olofstrom.se/Eldh/skulpturerna.htm
http://www.eldhsatelje.se/eng/





Very powerful work. Some connection in my mind to Rodin's Thinker.

















Again I think of Rodin,




and Dagas and Hans W. Larsen have similar works















What Chris Miller would, I think, call "pretty", but I see more of a German influence here.















with some running of the patina reminiscent of Chris' contemporary Japanese post recently!





I have added another, more interesting picture of him to my studios blog

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger chris miller said...

Yes! Thank you ! Very Interesting.

Thanks to my bad memory - I forgot all about this guy -- and now I'll have to give him a separate page.

I never even knew about those sites you linked - thank you again.

He's a little conservative for me -- so I prefer the more ebullient Carl Milles -- but some of his male figures hit the mark.

1:50 am  
Blogger Susanna said...

very interesting. I like the picture of him at the end. He trys some interesting poses. I like the one where the girl is streaching. I love to steach. Its such a great feeling. Sometimes just simple things like a good streach or likwe the one where they are messing with their foot or even looking like a big head and face cast looks like you do when you are looking blanky into a mirror. Many of his poses seem to celebrate living.

I have not read through this. IT might be a bunch of crap but it was a first impression thing.

2:45 am  
Blogger chris miller said...

Looks like it will be a while before we can visit the Eldh Museum -- it closed indefinitely for dynamiting !

Please keep you eye out (like Odin) for more Swedish sculptors - I've found so few so far.

3:13 am  
Blogger Ruth Marshall said...

Thank you so much for your posting of these photos. I have been told I am a distant relation to him. My grandmother was an Eldh, whos parents emigrated to America (she would be Carl Eldh's cousin) The Arts are strong in that line. Also a great sense of humor.
Always playing incredible pranks on each other.

Glad to see the love of life and daring poses (for their day) in his work.

Thanks!

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home