Saturday, August 16, 2008

Please buy a flower, sculpture oriental?

ed


The Flower Seller - Jeune Fille de Bou Saada

by

Louis–Ernst Barrias 1841-1904

The first one is in Ivory, bronze, wood and mother of pearl and is small at 33cm x 27cm. The second is in bronze size unknown and the last in I guessed terra cotta, but if it is plaster as Ian Cox said, then is there a Marble one somewhere? Looks as if it is a lot bigger and could be life size. See other pictures on Cox Art news and here.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Louis-Ernest_Barrias

There appear to be other versions one in the USA.

When I first saw this ‘little’ work it hardly caught my eye and I skipped on through the auction catalogue. I also must have seen the second version in another catalogue but do not remember it. Then I saw it on Cox Art News in a photo of a grave I did as I was told and ‘clicked’ where he indicated expecting to see some more graves. I am so glad I did for more that one reason.

First of all it is a delightful work. Second it brought this sculptor to mind and finally it got me thinking about ‘Media’ again.

It is unclear what has been used for the grave but I guess it is stone. We have a mixed media, a bronze and the big one which I had assumed was terra cotta but it could easily be plaster. Does anyone have a favourite?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger chris miller said...

Of course --we're not just comparing statues -- we're also comparing angles of view and lighting -- but I'm preferring the terra cotta -- maybe because it's non-reflective surface gives me a more tender, gentle feeling.

I think the modeling is slightly different, too -- and I'm probably preferring its angle of view.

Thanks for digging up these three versions -- comparisons are a lot of fun.

It gives

3:09 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Tera cotta is perhaps less touchable probably its only downside.

10:59 am  
Blogger Angel said...

Hello from Spain!
I love this sculpture and I have dedicated some time to find the tomb, and, yes! I found it!
It is in Paris and is the grave of an old orientalist painter (hence the girl costumes).
She is throwing flower petals in a farewell attitude.
The sculpture you have in the photo is made of plaster and in life size. In fact, this is the model that was used to produce the final piece for the tomb, which is made of bronze.
So, I was in the place and took a lot of photos and some video footage of this grave as well as many other photos of wonderful statues all aronund.
If you are interested in, I can send you (free, of course) some of theese pictures and video.
I discovered another breathtaking feminine figure from the same sculptor in another cemetery, which I can send you too.
Best regards.

4:47 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

So sorry not to reply sooner. I would love to see the other photos you have taken. Perhaps we could put up another post and if you have a blog link them in some way.

Thanks for your lovely comment.

3:41 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

So sorry not to reply sooner. I would love to see the other photos you have taken. Perhaps we could put up another post and if you have a blog link them in some way.

Thanks for your lovely comment.

3:41 pm  
Blogger Angel said...

Here you have my new blog:
http://forgotten-beauty.blogspot.com/
I have just started to build it and this is my first one!

12:38 pm  
Blogger deepturquoisesea said...

I like the chryselephantine version as it has a lifelike quality. I saw one yesterday at the Olympia fine art & antiques fair. It's amazing how different materials (be it ivory, terracotta, bronze or stone) give the same model a totally different look and expression.

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home