Saturday, February 10, 2007

Norwich 2005



At the 400th anniversary of Sir Thomas Browne's birth, I took these pictures which included my Niece looking at a memorial to a very ancient aunt in St. Thomas Mancroft,


and a long shot of my Grandfather's painting "Wist ye not". (I will post a better image of it up on www.artituk.com in due course.)



Here also is a picture of Alfred Bertram Pegram's 1905 statue to Sir Thomas Browne on the occasion of his 300th birthday. See more on my English Blog at


My attempt is a little standing version 7 inches high for the 400th birthday see:

http://artituk.com/Art_Sculpture_2002/artwork.php?Artist=15&Artwork=526

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

The main virtue of having gone to grad school is having already read hunks of Pseudodoxia Epidemica and Religio Medici and the wondrous Hydrotaphia, or Urn Burial! However, I do not remember any of them as well as I ought. I'd like to read his "quincunx" book, too, I think--or perhaps would like to have read it already!

How charming to have a petite Sir Thomas on one's desk... I especially like his little bronze (or silver) shoes. They "ground" him in another world, another age.

I'd like to walk about and get a good look at the picture and memorial, too. Ah, well.

3:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home