Monday, October 20, 2008

Ola Cohn's tax burden


I found this below quite by chance about a pupil of Henry Moore called Ola Cohn; depressing is it not! She was quite a pioneer for Australian sculpture too. I hope Chris will look kindly at her for his list of 20c sculptors.

The winning of a scholarship allowed her another year but by October 1930 it was time to return to Australia.
Ola brought with her almost two tons of sculpture. Despite the fact that it was her own work, she was made to pay import duty on the sculpture.

http://www.australian-art-gallery.com/Australian-Art/Ola-Cohn.htm


Photo thanks to Sothebys.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Oh, that's cruel!

I was looking at your website and love that picture of you and the pony...

2:13 am  
Blogger Robert said...

Theft by government, no wonder I have had so much difficulty finding any Australian sculptors for Chris’s 20c figure site. Talk about a disincentive to acquiring fine art down under.

Thanks for visiting my very amateur website which my son is improving at the moment. The story with the pony is quite funny; my daughter was clicking away with the camera and within seconds of this photo the seat collapsed and I went flat on my back to the surprise and amusement of pony, dog and daughter. The funny side escaped me for a few minutes!

7:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home