Saturday, July 03, 2010

Two years in the making

"The Music Lesson"

Daphnis, the boy, is teaching Chloe to play the pan pipes. Daphnis, being very shy about showing too much affection in case he is rejected, snatches the pipe back to kiss them where her lips have been. She pinches him above the hip (as in the Laocoon) her fingers pressing into his skin (as Bernini's Pluto and Proserpina), their knees touch and, no doubt both hearts "flutter", the real tummy butterfly effect! The dog looks on with suspicion and some jealous protectiveness!

I plan to try once more to caste this extremely difficult project. 147 piece plaster mould. I have chosen to use perhaps the most exquisite material of all. It is between porceiline and bone china but better than both and so a street above Marble. I have used it before with a portrait bust which worked well. Helped by the Master of all potters in England we will try one more time in a week or two. see here, a year ago!

4 Comments:

Blogger AJS said...

Best wishes for this challenging undertaking, Robert!

8:23 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Wonderful to hear from you again, hope all is well. I hope my short and exciting trip will bring back the inspiration and will to get on with things! How is you work going these days? Let me know if you are ever going to come back this side of the pond.

9:09 pm  
Blogger chris miller said...

What a project!
I wish I had as much patience as you do, Robert.

3:33 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Oh, there is Chris, too--no doubt looking forward as I am! I shall have to catch up with him as well.

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home