Friday, March 02, 2007

A Vet's mark on London





I offer you
“Peace in her Quadriga”
By Adrian Jones (1845 -1938)


Just occasionally ones world is turned up-side-down and here is a good example. I have passed this sculpture so many many times. Of course I knew it and of it, but this is the first time I have really looked at it.

The largest bronze Sculpture in Europe and “done” by a self taught sculptor, a qualified vet in 1912.

These are what I call wings Gawain. Even I can change my opinion.

Now if you would like to see more then visit my English Sculpture Blog in a couple of day’s time. I went to the V&A.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Blue Genes said...

With those wings and those horses, she might be a better candidate to deliver my letter than the postal service, don't you think? Obviously I'm still trying to figure this whole handwritten letter thing out.

9:01 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

All I have gathered of your postal service was from the Men In Black who seemed to think most of them were aliens!

9:11 pm  
Blogger Blue Genes said...

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what that means. Are you referring to the movie Men in Black? I haven't seen it.

3:32 am  
Blogger Robert said...

Yes, sorry, from the film, probably suited to a young male audience, I have an 18 year old. Hollywood thought it would be a good place to hide aliens in human form in the American Postal service!

There is one really good "clip" from M-in-B one; at the very end there is a sequence which puts us all into perspective very very well.

On the subject of letter writing, I think it is rather refreshing, let's face it we don't get many hand written letters these days unless they are very personal or fitting into some protocol which we feel a need to follow. If I had to write one now of any length I would type it first and then copy it out. Sounds ridiculous but my spelling is so bad now, since the advent of the spell checker, that it would be illegible. Poor writing is used to disguise spelling; such is the dyslexic mind.

As for my pictures of “Peace”, her letter was obviously not read by the world, she was placed there in 1912. A poignant reminder that we don’t “jaw jaw” enough.

9:16 am  
Blogger Erik said...

Robert,I'll have to read your posts up to now, but in the meantime I posted a beautiful dog from Leeuwarden especially for you: it's a statue honouring the Frisian dog race "stabyhoun", of which I am lucky to own one.

6:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home