Tuesday, February 13, 2007

E Roscoe Mullins

I have never really liked statues of old men in town centres. Aesthetically they do not appeal and as they tend to be the only sculpture in most towns in England I have without thinking become disinterested. We lived for a short time near Paris when I was about 13, sculpture there was rather more varied and some much more interesting!

So in my own county town, a statue has, for 30 odd years, meant nothing to me. I was irritated that there seemed to be no signature and no one seemed to know. I had another look at it today and found a mark this time! So Mr Barnes was done by;

Edwin Roscoe Mullins.

He did some great stuff too. I will put it on my English Sculpture Blog in due course. I will have to bury some more prejudices. It looks as if his wife may have been quite a force in Education as a joint founder of King Alfred's school.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger chris miller said...

So what about some pictures ??!!!

This is so nerve-wracking (does Blue Jean's shrink accept American patients?)

10:06 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Good to have you back Chris, trouble with this guy he may be a bit before your "time". I will check tomorrow and post some pictures for you. Nerve wracking? It's bad enouth keeping up with your global toure.

11:42 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Where is he? I'll have to come back and take a look--if we dig ourselves out!

9:49 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Done a few, I will keep looking, see English sculpture blog. http://englishsculpture.blogspot.com/

How's the snow now Marley?

10:49 pm  
Blogger Blue Genes said...

Blue Genes and her shrink are American. However, she is in France for the week. When she returns she must discuss with her shrink the psychological implications of referring to herself in the third person and whether this too is a consequence of childhood upbringing or rather a natural reaction to being in a (semi)foreign country. She hopes that her last post, if not "sunny" enough, was at least "sunny side up" enough for Robert whom she warmly thanks for continuing to visit her site and for leaving her comments.

1:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home