Thursday, July 17, 2008

Practical Sculpture

Ian Cox reminded me how important it is to see these things in the round so I have tried with this one.

E J Clack's drinking fountain in Green Park, London, more here

Constance Fund


But like this one in Poundbury Dorset, drinking (if there is any water) is not recommended. Just in passing it is a pity that the sheep here is not a Dorset Horn which probably grazed on this land for centuries. I would be happy to help amend this error if asked!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wOW -- I like Diana and her dog -- but when I go to the website for the park -- those figures are just details of entire ensemble that looks a bit problematic.

I've got to learn more about Clack.

6:34 pm  
Blogger AJS said...

Dynamic Artemis...what's in her hand, though? A whip?

1:37 am  
Blogger Robert said...

Oh toothless one, good to hear from you. Your roses are still blooming in the apple tree.

The strange thing in her hand reminds me of a snake we once saw carried on high by a buzzard near Morton in Dorset. My children were quite young then and were quite horrified. In this case one can't even say that the sculptor was trying to create a rhyme or cannon in sculptural terms by repeating the line of the dog's tail.

9:26 am  
Blogger AJS said...

Hmmm. I should think the dog's tail would be better off not repeated. This item in her hand looks far too contrived. Instead of moving my eye around the whole, it has me stuck in some views, my gaze moving from the dog's rear straight up to her hand.

12:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home