Friday, November 09, 2007

November

How awful, I did think it was a bit short. Here is the full version I think. It was the "distance looking blue..and ... the steeple" that I thought I remembered.

  • No sun--no moon!
  • No morn--no noon!
  • No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
  • No sky--no earthly view--
  • No distance looking blue--
  • No road--no street--no "t'other side this way"--
  • No end to any Row--
  • No indications where the Crescents go--
  • No top to any steeple--
  • No recognitions of familiar people--
  • No courtesies for showing 'em--
  • No knowing 'em!
  • No traveling at all--no locomotion--
  • No inkling of the way--no notion--
  • "No go" by land or ocean--
  • No mail--no post--
  • No news from any foreign coast--
  • No Park, no Ring, no afternoon gentility--
  • No company--no nobility--
  • No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
  • No comfortable feel in any member--
  • No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
  • No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds--
  • November!
(Had to put the bullet points in for the correct lines)

See also here:
http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~matsuoka/Hood.html

It seems there is a shorter version there, but I prefer the long one. He wrote it in 1844 in coaching days, but it is still very recognisable to the Novembers of my "youth"!

He was also responsible for that imortal line:


Like tearful Proserpine, snatch'd from her flow'rs

To a most gloomy breast.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

I heard there was bad weather and flooding in England and just wanted to check in with you and yours to see if all was well.

S

1:12 pm  
Blogger Bernd Schaudinnus said...

Hi!
I have my Birtday at November!
It´s great, it`s sagitarius and moor.

http://meinegalerie.blogspot.com

7:09 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Susangalique, we are fine thanks, it was over in East Anglia that they were a bit worried; in the end it was no big deal.

Bernd, welcome, my wife's birthday too but she is scorpio!

This was written in 1844 but is it appropriate today? Climate change and all that?

My german is a little rusty but I will go back again to your site and have another go!

11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home