Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Three Graces






















Here are a few examples to compare of “The Three Graces” in Sculpture. They were a popular subject over the centuries like Chris’ Leda and the swan. See his blog here

It is interesting from the point of view; quite literally, arranging 3 girls to best advantage. How would you do it?

Now I am not going to upset Amanda on the subject of the “male gaze” because best advantage is purely from the aesthetics of the female form; the most important form on earth. How Henry Moore saw the female form so differently only time will tell and judge.
I think I will attempt A Three Graces but more research is needed!





Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

My boss lady gave a three graces marble desk statue from her personal collection for my birthday this year. She said she got it 30 years ago and it reminded her of the different aspects of my personality. I was really excited.

shes a great gift giver

1:51 am  
Blogger Robert said...

Yes it's a personality thing, or at least often interpreted that way. The mythological stories behind them are interesting. They appear in other mythologies too.

8:56 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Ah, now I see.

You and Chris will have a good time with dueling sequences!

And I think that this is a great topic for you--it expands and ennobles one of your already lovely subjects. Plus there is all that consideration of space in between the three.

When you get that one nailed down, you can move on to all nine of the muses!

4:33 pm  
Blogger AJS said...

Hah. There's a reason the Three Graces are women...even I prefer to sculpt the graceful female form.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

You have inspired a new post Marley, you are a real gem. (Hope that means the same in English/American!!) I have thought often about the nine muses.

Amanda, as I have no doubt told my daughters over the years, that means there's a lot to live up to!

9:39 pm  
Blogger chris miller said...

You haven't identified these pieces -- but aren't they mostly 18th C. ?
There's something so "Age of Reason" about that theme -- and I can't remember putting any onto my 20th C. sculpture site.

Except for this decorative throwback to an earlier era. (and I couldn't even find the name of the artist)

I'll be keeping an eye out for more

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home