Saturday, September 22, 2007

A remedy if you are feeling down


or just want a good laugh!


I was not brought up on “Just William”. I think my Mother read to me as a child, but William was not part of her repertoire.


I put this right when it was my turn at parenthood and all my four offspring were subjected to an almost daily dose. They like so many children's books transcend the age gap.


Chapter one (of 12) of Book one (of 29) starts;


It all began with William’s aunt, who was in a good temper that morning, and gave him a shilling….


Sadly these wonderful tales do not adapt well to television and the various attempts at it never took off as they should. Few children will get to know the William stories unless they are lucky enough to listen to the sound recordings of Martin Jarvis reading them, or even better an Aunt perhaps, so often useful for such purposes!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Never heard of these and shall have to take a look.

3:29 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

P. S.
"Frog and Toad are Friends" is another remdy.

3:54 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

There are various Frogs and Toads from childhood literature that come to mind, the obvious ones being Toad from The Wind and the willows and the Frog in Beatrice Potter’s book, he was invited to tea on a lily and almost got eaten by a trout. In the former , Toad was a keen motorist and owner of a stately home.

I have had a succession of minor ailments, toothache and cold but at last improving again.

6:33 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Bruce, thank you for your email, I am pleased that someone has read Just William books with such pleasure.
I will read your “blog” and be in touch by email.

9:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home