Monday, October 08, 2007

Franta Belsky

We had some fun yesterday, my wife’s aunt held a party for the reinstallation of her sculpture which was stolen a year or two ago. I was able to complete another one of the edition for her.

After a very good party I remembered that she had lent me a book about a friend of hers called Franta Belsky an accomplished Czech sculptor who settled in England. He had a very interesting life well worth following up .




I rather discounted him because of the rather strange work in Knightsbridge which I do not care for but some of his other work is exquisite and much of it I highly recommend.



He also did some very famous portraits, best known of; Our Queen, Sir Winston Churchill, President Truman and shown above my Regiment’s Colonel, “Colonel Dickie” (Earl Mountbatten of Burma).






I must admit I was a little shocked the first time I saw a picture like this. It was of Churchill himself confronted by this life study with a sly grin on his face. I doubt somehow that he actually posed for this portrait without cloths!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Winston!

Give the man a leaf, willya?

So is the new sculpture locked into place?

4:00 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Thought you'd like that Marley. Yes, lots of security measures this time.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

I cant believe someone would steal a private sculpture like that.

That picture is great. What a fab courtyard area.

The naked Churchill is so funny. You know my dad got to meet him, it was one of his favorite stories.

3:56 am  
Blogger chris miller said...

Thanks for the new name to add to my list (#988)!

And... is that you ( looking quite baronial ) in the pink shirt?

3:26 am  
Blogger John laoi said...

hello Robert,
fantastic work, its hearting to see it.
my very best wishes
John Lee

11:08 am  
Blogger Robert said...

No Chris, I was behind the camera as usual!

My next exhibition blog will have some pictures posted nearer the date and I will put up lots of photos of the event afterwards.

We get the catalogue early next week so that will be the time to post up lots of pictures and a pdf.

11:19 am  
Blogger Robert said...

Lee welcome. I love your sketches I will have a longer look soon.

11:21 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

"Baronial in pink."

Odd. I like that.

2:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home